Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Our Advent Calendar

Our Advent Calendar is made from a Red Dogwood branch and some old book pages. Each book page was rolled into a cone shape and decorated with a winter animal shape.







Each day we look inside the cone to find a prayer for the day or a family activity to prepare for Christmas.



Some of our favorites are:



~Sing Christmas songs by the tree

~Cocoa and a prayer

~Read the story of the birth of Jesus

~Make "firecrackers" to open on Christmas Eve (These contain special notes written by each family member)

~ Go for a drive and look at Christmas lights

~Go out of your way to do good deeds today

~Make a gift for your sibling

~Go to the pet store to hold the puppies

~Buy food for the food shelf

~Make a Birthday Banner for Jesus




This is the first year we have done such an involved Advent Calendar. I must say I am in love with the idea and I do plan to make it a tradition.



Having the kids help make it really gave them ownership.



I will admit that some of the tasks did not get completed. The timing was a little off. Next year, I will have to rig it so the more involved activities land on slow days here at the house!



I hope Advent helped prepare your heart and home for the coming of Jesus... Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

  1. This is great! I love the idea of an advent calendar and I toiled over doing one with Emma this year - I opted to wait for next year when she has a little better handle on things. Thanks for the inspiration and creative ways to give back and celebrate the joy of the season instead of just filling each cone with treats and prizes like some advent calendars do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kate... the kids were a little skeptical about the no treats aspect at first. I am hoping to build memories and traditions. Give Emma Jane a big huggle for me. See you Saturday!

    ReplyDelete